Top Tips for a Successful Real Estate Transaction
No two real estate deals are the same, and each requires the kind of individual care and attention that Guertin Poirier provides.
In general, however, the following steps apply to any successful home purchase.
Prior to making a purchase, you should:
- determine your aﬀordable price range for a home by talking to your bank and getting a pre-approved mortgage;
- become acquainted with your real estate sales representative and begin house-hunting;
- narrow your search to a few potential “good buys”–try to avoid choosing just one potential home;
- choose a lawyer and talk to or meet with them;
- discuss the terms of the Agreement of Purchase and Sale with your sales representative and make an oﬀer on your terms; and
- review your budget and make sure all your funds are available for the closing date.
Prepare to do these things at the time of offer:
- when the oﬀer is accepted, satisfy your conditions and advise your real estate agent and lawyer once all conditions have been removed; and
- once your oﬀer is “ﬁrmed up”, make ﬁnal moving arrangements, advise family, friends, banks, post oﬃce, your employer and business acquaintances of your move.
To prepare to move in:
- become acquainted with your local municipality and utility companies (e.g. Hydro Ottawa, Enbridge gas, etc.) and set up all required accounts.
- schedule movers to come in the late morning or afternoon–this will save you money and stress, as keys are usually released between 1:00pm and 5:00pm;
- make ﬁnal closing arrangements with your lawyer, sign documents and pick up your keys at the speciﬁed time; and
- if you are purchasing a condominium, ensure that you have arranged a payment plan for your condo fees with the condominium corporation to avoid additional charges for missed